She came in on a stretcher ,wheeled by two elderly women. I still remember vividly ,Saturday 11:07 ,it was. I was covering for the weekend call and this time round luck had been poured in plenty.Friday was smooth ,events not very alarming and by 2am I was dragging my exhausted body to asleep. No more eventful events. At least. A call came in at 8am ,that we were expecting a referral. 3 hours later ,I'm standing at the right side of her stretcher.She was confused ,I couldn't tell the colour of her clothes. Pungent smell filled the house and before I knew it ,I felt my head 'revolving' as they call it. She had multiple layers of metal bracelets on her wrist and ankles and necklaces and I remember wondering if she wakes people at night from the noise .She was semiconscious and she looked as if she had taken a bath with mud. Literally. Eclampsia ,read the diagnosis from the referral note.She had been referred to 3 hospitals before arriving. All miles apart with no proper means of transport.Once she stabilised ,we rushed in for an emergency ceaserian.Unfortunately her baby had longed died. 10 days later she fully recovered and on the 11th I couldn't resist to take another social history. 17 years ,married off ,lives in a neighbouring country near the boarders. At the end of the interview all I could mumble is how God loves this woman ,days of labour at home ,convulsions and days later ending in the hospital,at the butchers table ,and walking out of all this. If you ever think this is purely luck ,it would take an eternity to halfway convince me
No comments:
Post a Comment